Your Employer must carry out a Risk Assessment

Site updated on February 17, 2020

Your Employer must carry out a Risk Assessment of your job (Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999)

Employers are required to undertake risk assessments regarding the Health and Safety of employees and anyone else who may be affected by the work activity. Employers with 5 or more employees have to record the findings of their risk assessments in writing. With fewer than 5 employees, the risk assessment should still be carried out.

Your Employer should have appointed safety representatives and should meet the reps regularly to discuss health and safety issues. (If there are more than 5 workers).

You should be provided with information about any risks that you are exposed to through doing your job. You should be provided with adequate protective clothing and equipment. You should be given advice and training on how to deal with any risks identified. If you have any concerns about your health or safety at work talk to your Manager, Union Safety Rep or contact us.

Much has been written about Stress at Work. Recent case law has made it clear that mental injury, as well as physical injury, is covered by Health and Safety Regulations. The impact of the work on your mental health should now be included in regular risk assessment exercises. The hours that you work are an important factor in this and should be monitored.

Specific Guidance on certain activities is provided by the Health and Safety Executive. For example;

  • Manual Handling
  • Display Screen Equipment (Repetitive strain injury)
  • Noise at Work Regulations
  • Asbestos
  • Electricity at work regs
  • Temperature levels in the workplace
  • Smoking in the workplace (now banned of course)
  • First aid facilities
  • Reporting serious injuries and incidents, even where no-one was injured – a “near miss”.

Workplace injuries or illness.

If you believe that you have suffered illness or injury caused by your work (Remember this extends to mental ill health, often called “Stress”),you must immediately report the matter to your Manager and/or a safety rep. It is advisable to confirm this in writing to ensure that this is formally recorded. Get medical advice as soon as possible. If your employer has not taken all reasonable steps to protect you, you may be entitled to compensation. If this is the case Contact our Advice Line for further advice.

© Your Job Rights 2016

Site Design by JMB Creative